The machine lateral raise is a great exercise for working the shoulders. It can help improve your strength and coordination, and it is also important for overall shoulder health.
In this blog post, we will discuss the benefits of doing a machine lateral raise, how to do it with proper form, and some tips on how to perform this exercise effectively.
We will also talk about some common mistakes people make when doing this exercise and how to avoid them.
What are the benefits of doing a machine lateral raise?
The shoulder is a ball and socket joint that is capable of a large range of motion. The shoulder joint is made up of the clavicle (collarbone), the scapula (shoulder blade), and the humerus (upper arm bone).
The shoulder is a weight-bearing joint and because of its range of motion, it is susceptible to injury. The rotator cuff muscles and tendons attach the scapula to the humerus and are responsible for moving the shoulder joint.
The deltoid muscle is the large muscle on the top of the arm and is responsible for moving the arm abduction (lifting the arm out to the side).
A machine lateral raise is a weight-training exercise that targets the deltoid muscle. The exercise involves raising a weight in an arc-like motion from your side to above your head.
A machine lateral raise can help you build strength and size in your deltoid muscle. It can also help improve your shoulder range of motion.
Here are five benefits of doing a machine lateral raise:
1. A machine lateral raise can help you build strength and size in your deltoid muscle.
2. It can also help improve your shoulder range of motion.
3. A machine lateral raise is an effective exercise for targeting the middle deltoid muscle.
4. It is a safe exercise to perform, provided you use proper form.
5. It can be performed with free weights or machines.
How to Do a Machine Lateral Raise With Proper Form
When it comes to the machine lateral raise, form is key.
Heres a step by step guide how to do a machine lateral raise:
1. Make sure the weight you select is appropriate for your strength level.
2. Sit in the seat of the machine and grip the handles with your palms facing each other.
3. Draw your shoulder blades together and down, and lift the weight by extending your arms out to the sides.
4. Keep your elbows slightly bent and pause for a moment at the top of the movement before slowly lowering the weight back to the starting position.
5. Repeat for desired number of reps.
Tips on how to perform this exercise effectively
Here are some tips to help you perform the machine lateral raise effectively:
1. Use a light weight to start and gradually increase the amount of weight as you get stronger.
2. Keep your palms facing each other throughout the exercise.
3. Be sure to keep your shoulders down and back, and resist the temptation to shrug them up towards your ears.
4. Focus on contracting your deltoid muscles throughout the movement and keeping your core engaged.
What are some common mistakes people make when doing this exercise?
There are a few common mistakes people make when performing the machine lateral raise exercise:
Not using enough weight: This is a common mistake people make when starting out with this exercise. They use too light of a weight and as a result, dont see any results. Remember, you need to challenge your muscles in order for them to grow.
Not keeping their shoulders down and back: Its important to keep your shoulders down and back throughout the entire movement. Many people tend to shrug their shoulders up towards their ears, which puts unnecessary stress on the neck and can lead to injury.
Elbows flared out: Be sure to keep your elbows slightly bent and close to your body throughout the exercise.